The research goal of Gill and his collaborators is to understand the wheat genome and manipulate it for crop improvement using modern techniques and tools. Current research projects are to:
- understanding mechanism of heat tolerance in wheat and developing climate resilient wheat;
- identify and characterize an alternative to currently used dwarfing genes of wheat;
- study molecular basis of chromosome pairing control in polyploid species;
- establish an efficient approach to access agromocially important genes;
- study mechanism of wheat defense repose to biotic stress;
- understand the extent and distribution of recombination.