Ph.D. Statistical Genetics, Michigan State University, 1998
Ph.D. Animal Breeding and Genetics, Northeast Agricultural University, China, 1991
M.S. Animal Breeding and Genetics, Jilin Agricultural University, China, 1988
B.S. Animal Science, Jilin Agricultural University, China, 1982
Committed to develop innovative, cutting-edge statistical methods and computing tools to advance genomic research toward the sustainability of food production and healthcare management. The focused areas are gene mapping and genomic prediction. The developed statistical methods include gBLUP (genomic Best Linear Unbiased Prediction (J. Anim. Science, 2017), compressed mixed linear model (Nature Genetics, 2010), and FarmCPU (PLoS Genetics, 2016). The released software packages include TASSEL (Bioinformatics, 2007), GAPIT (Bioinformatics, 2012 and Plant Genome 2016), and iPat (Bioinformatics, 2018). Vertical zones cover conventional statistics, Bayesian statistics, and artificial intelligent. Horizontal scopes cover agronomy, genomics, and remote sensing.
- Chunpeng, C. and Z. Zhang*. 2018. iPat: Intelligent Prediction and Association Tool for Genomic Research. Bioinformatics, bty015.
- Wang, J., Z. Zhou, Zhe Zhang, H. Li, D. Liu, Q. Zhang, P.J. Bradbury, E.S. Buckler, and Zhiwu Zhang*, 2018. Expanding the BLUP alphabet for genomic prediction adaptable to the genetic architectures of complex traits. Heredity.
- Liu, X., M. Huang, B. Fan, E.S. Buckler, and Z. Zhang*. 2016. Iterative Usage of Fixed and Random Effect Models for Powerful and Efficient Genome-Wide Association Studies. PLoS Genetics. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1005767.
- Tang, Y., X. Liu, J. Wang, M. Li, Q. Wang, F. Tian, Z. Su, Y. Pan, D. Liu, A.E. Lipka, E.S. Buckler, and Z. Zhang*. 2016. GAPIT Version 2: An Enhanced Integrated Tool for Genomic Association and Prediction. The Plant Genome. 9(2) 1-9.
- Zhou, Y. , M.I. Vales, A. Wang, and Z. Zhang*. 2016. Systematic bias of correlation coefficient may explain negative accuracy of genomic prediction. Briefings in Bioinformatics. 18(6) 1093.
- Wang, Q., F. Tian, Y. Pan, E.S. Buckler, and Z. Zhang*. 2014. A SUPER Powerful Method for Genome Wide Association Study. PLoS One 9:e107684.
- Li, M., X. Liu, P. Bradbury, J. Yu, Y-M Zhang, R.J. Todhunter, E.S. Buckler, and Zhang*. 2014. Enrichment of Statistical Power for Genomoe-wide Association Studies. BMC Biol 12:73.
- Yang, Y., Q. Wang, Q. Chen, R. Liao, X. Zhang, H. Yang, Y. Zheng, Zhang*, and Y. Pan*. 2014. A New Genotype Imputation Method with Tolerance to High Missing Rate and Rate Variants. PloS One 9 (6), e101025.
- Zhang, Z.*, Ersoz, C.Q. Lai, R.J. Todhunter, H.K. Tiwari, M.A. Gore, P.J. Bradbury, J. Yu, D.K. Arnett, J.M. Ordovas, and E.S. Buckler. 2010. Mixed Linear Model Approach Adapted for Genome-Wide Association Studies. Nature Genetics 42: 355-360.
- Zhang, Z.*,S. Buckler, T.M. Casstevens and P.J. Bradbury. 2009. Software Engineering the Mixed Model for Genome-wide Association Studies on Large Samples. Briefings in Bioinformatics 10(6):664-675.
- Zhang, Z.,J. Todhunter, E.S. Buckler, and L.D. Van Vleck*. 2007. Technical Note: Use of Marker-based Relationships with Multiple-trait Derivative-free Restricted Maximal Likelihood. J Anim Sci, 85: 881-885.
- Zhang, Z., P.J. Bradbury*, D.E. Kroon, T.M. Casstevens, Y. Ram-doss, and E.S. Buckler. 2007. TASSEL: Software for Association Mapping of Complex Traits in Diverse Samples. Bioinformatics 20: 2839-2840.
By Tina Hilding, communications director, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture, 509-335-5095, firstname.lastname@example.org
Investigators: Jack Brown, Jim B. Davis, Aaron Esser, Kurt Schroeder, Fangming Xiao, Zhiwu Zhang
Investigators: Arron Carter, Camille Steber, and Zhiwu Zhang
By Scott A. Yates, Director of Communication at Washington Grain Commission
By Matthew Weaver at Capital Press